For most people with hair problems, such as male or female pattern baldness, hair transplant might be the only solution. However, your options are no longer limited to invasive procedures and those that do not work, such as shampoos. Scalp micropigmentation (SMP) is an excellent choice for those who want to bring back the thickness of their hair.
If you are suffering from a form of alopecia, you are not alone. According to statistics, androgenetic alopecia is the most common cause of hair loss in men, accounting for over 95%. Women also are affected, with around 40% of them showing signs of hair loss by the age of 40.
Who is Scalp Micropigment For?
To determine if you are a good candidate for SMP, you will need to visit STAR Micropigmentation for a consultation. The good news is most people can go through the scalp micropigment procedure. It is a simplified process that does not involve chemicals or even opening up the skin. If you have any of the following, you will find SMP beneficial for you:
- You have visible scars that you may have acquired while you were younger. If you have always been conscious of them, you can turn to scalp micropigmentation to cover the spot. The procedure is also great for those with linear scarring after an outdated hair restoration treatment.
- You have hair loss but it is not at an advanced stage yet. If you still have hair but thinning is quite noticeable, you may not want to go for a robotic hair transplant. The procedure can be over the top for those who are still at the early stages of male or female pattern baldness.
- Some people may not be an ideal candidate for hair transplants. In transplants, hair is taken from another side of the head where hair loss does not take place. Therefore, if you are experiencing baldness or thinning all over, a hair transplant is not advised. Instead, SMP is a better solution.
- Scalp micropigment is great for those who often shave their hair. If some spots are noticeably thinner, SMP will help cover those areas. At the same time, your head will still look natural.
- If you have a health condition, such as thyroid issues or lupus, it can result in hair loss. Some medications also cause the problem but you do not have to suffer from this particular side effect.
Another reason why you should get SMP is if you had a poorly done hair treatment in the past. If you dealt with practitioners who did not have the proper training, they may have caused unappealing results. Turn to the real experts at STAR Micropigmentation. They can correct the bad procedure that you went through so you can go out without covering your head again.
Scalp micropigmentation is often compared to tattooing. Both processes involve the use of needles that apply pigments onto the skin. SMP gives the appearance that you have tiny yet natural looking hair follicles. It gives the illusion that you have a full head of hair while adding density to the balding areas.
While traditional tattooing and SMP are similar, their techniques differ greatly. SMP requires a professional who knows how to use a complex technique that can replicate the hair follicles. To understand better, here is how the procedure goes
- You will have your initial consultation with STAR Micropigmentation. This appointment is crucial to help the experts understand your situation, along with the results that you wish to achieve. You will be guided through the whole process so you can decide correctly, particularly with the style that looks best for your head. A plan of action will then be created to reach the goal and the appearance that you are going for.
- The treatment will be scheduled once all the requirements are fulfilled. The practitioner will make sure to have all the necessary details about you, including the shape and positioning of your hairline, the shade, and density of the pigments, and others.
- The next step is for you to visit the office and have the procedure. With years of experience, the experts will know exactly what to do. If it is your first time with any hair treatment, the goal is to make you feel comfortable right from the start. Therefore, the approach is minimal and conservative, which helps achieve the best result in the end. Since it is the first session, the method is to simply lay the basics of your new look.
- For the treatment, microneedles will be used, dotting your scalp, specifically the dermal layer, in precise motions. It is why the process gives the most realistic results.
- The SMP treatment typically takes about three hours during the initial treatment. The duration will depend on the condition of the client, as well as the coverage required. The second and third sessions will normally take less time.
Once you are done with the treatment, you will immediately notice that your scalp is red. This effect is normal and will usually go away within a few days. Some people easily get rid of the redness the next day. While healing, the immune system will attack these pigments after realizing they are foreign bodies. As a result, they will shrink and gradually fade. It is why the second and third sessions are necessary until you get the correct shade.
Most of the time, a lighter pigment is applied at the first session and the following ones get a darker color. The different pigments help make the outcome look natural.
Other Facts about the Scalp Micropigment Procedure
Pigmentation treatments have been around for quite some time. Some reports claim that it has existed since the 1970s. However, the procedures only became what they are now in 2002. The first ever treatment that was made public was in 2006.
Scalp micropigmentation is often performed for patients who are balding and some with hairline issues. However, the procedure is also an excellent option for those who have hair loss due to burns or after surgery. Many with blemishes, marks, and scars turn to SMP to hide these imperfections.
If you plan to go through the procedure, the following details will help you get to know more about it:
- It is almost pain-free. Many patients say that they have experienced mild discomfort while having the procedure. It is especially true for the initial stage. However, the discomfort gradually goes away during the same session, making it more tolerable for even those with sensitive skin. If you do not want any pain, anesthetics can always be applied to the area. Nevertheless, SMP does not hurt as much as having a tattoo and even a hair transplant.
- The recovery is quick and almost instant. Some people may see that their scalp is quite red so they do not want to go out until it lessens. For most patients, however, they can go back to work the following day.
- If you are worried about the side effects, you will be happy to know that there is little to no side effects at all. Of course, your scalp will look a little red and the dots appear to be darker and bigger than you may want. However, these minimal issues will go away while your skin heals. Tiny scabs will be where the dotted areas are but they will fall off in no time.
- The SMP treatment is mostly associated with men but it is also for women. If you take a look at the pictures of the results, most involve men. However, women can also benefit from the procedure. Most men go for SMP to gain the look of a shaved head. Meanwhile, women opt for the treatment to make the hair look thicker. The process involves reducing the contrast between the hair follicle and the scalp itself.
- Women who plan to go through the procedure do not need to shave their heads. A practitioner will part the hair in multiple sections and will apply the pigment to gain a “shaded” scalp. The result is thicker-looking hair because the difference between the scalp and hair color is difficult to see.
Once you are done with the procedure, maintenance is easy. You may need to avoid sweating after the treatment. You may also have to stay away from washing your head or using shampoos and other products. This solution can last for four years or more depending on how you care for it. If you are ready to see your head with fuller hair, talk to a STAR Micropigmentation specialist today.